Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pet Peeves

Got my papers out to grade a few minutes ago, and started through the first page of a test. It was fill-in-the-blank and matching (just the first page). I told them EXACTLY what would be on this section. So I made each blank worth 2 points, so this whole easy part of the test ends up being 30 points, or 30% of the test. I feel like that's generous, since I told them exactly what was going to be on it. I'm being completely honest here. I told them.

And yet even though I still have 5 that I haven't even looked at, already there was more than one person that did not get a perfect score on this part. And it's not like I told them about it the day before. I told them in advance. 

But this isn't even the thing that prompted this post. Oh no, it's something much worse. And as a disclaimer, this test is not the first time this has happened. It's not just a particular student, or even a particular class. There's always going to be kids that do this...

What is it you ask? Is the anticipation killing you yet??

Well...

Okay fine. I'll tell you.

My Biggest Pet Peeve:

When students write, "I don't know how to do any of this" on a test, quiz, or anything really.

WAS I TALKING TO THE BRICK WALL IN THE BACK OF THE ROOM FOR THE LAST 2-3 WEEKS?!

That's just so unacceptable. Do students really think I'm going to feel bad? If you don't get something, then you're aware of it. And you're aware of it before test day. So ask questions. Come in and get help before or after school. Ask your friend who is really good at math, and a huge sweetheart to boot, to help you! OH MY.

Teenagers.

And no, I don't think this makes me a bad teacher. I offer help before and after school. I stay until five freaking o'clock two days a week for night school and I'm available to help them during that time. I'll come early if someone asks me to. I have a study hall and a prep period, which I've been known to give up to offer some assistance. I've introduced students to awesome websites Khan Academy that are great for extra help if the times that I'm available are not convenient for their schedules. And there's often time to ask questions either during a lesson or at the end (I give them time to start their homework for this very reason!)

I'm done. I still have these tests to grade. I could have sworn they went smoothly last year, but maybe I was wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment